The New York State Homeowner Assistance Fund is now accepting applications. Funded by Congress through the American Rescue Plan we passed last year, the Homeowner Assistance Fund is dedicated to assisting homeowners at risk of default, foreclosure or displacement because of a financial hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Applicants may qualify for up to $50,000 in aid through the program.
To apply, click here or call 844-776-9423 to learn more. You can also review a step-by-step application guide with a document checklist here.
New York State residents who own a home and occupy it as their primary residence can apply if they are:
- Behind or in forbearance on their mortgage
- In default on a reverse mortgage
- Behind on their property taxes, water or sewage bills
- Behind on monthly maintenance charges of your coop or condo
- Behind on their chattel loans, retail installment contracts or other types of home purchase loans and/or lot rent
To learn more you can click here or to read frequently asked questions and their answers you can click here. Certified housing counselors or legal service providers in your neighborhood may also be able to help you for free, click hereto find local support.
Please note that the program is expected to receive more applications than can be funded. Applications will be processed in the order they were received, and a submission does not guarantee you will receive financial assistance.