One of the most important aspects of Congress is developing, making, and monitoring laws.
New laws are created every week. As a Member of Congress, I am trying to be actively involved in sponsoring and drafting legislation about issues that are important to you.
I am a proud sponsor of the following legislation:
- H.Res. 514, a resolution Honoring Thomas Jennings of New York City as the first African-American to be granted a patent by the United States.
- H.R. 3878, Hate Crime Reporting Act of 2013: This bill would direct the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to update a report for Congress concerning the role of telecommunications in the commission of hate crimes.
- H.R. 3713, Trademark Act of 1946: This legislation would provide the registration of marks consisting of a flag, coat of arms, or other official insignia of the United States or of any State or local government, and for other purposes.
- H.R.3688, Ex-Offender Voter Registration Act of 2013: This legislation would give former offenders the opportunity to vote, along with provide them with the proper materials to register upon their release.
- H.R. 3646, Extreme Weather Mitigation Act of 2013: This legislation would provide adequate levels of protection to communities impacted by natural disasters, as well as to expedite critical water resources projects in communities that have historically been and continue to remain susceptible to extreme weather events.
- H.R. 2984, the Bureau of Corrections Renaming Act of 2013: This bipartisan legislation would rename the “Bureau of Prisons” – under the jurisdiction of the Department of Justice – to the “Bureau of Corrections.
- H.R. 2695, the American Public Housing Act of 2013: This legislation would exempt federal public housing funding from any future budget cuts or additional potential rounds of sequestration.
- H.R.1537 Prison-Based Gerrymandering Bill: This legislation would put an end to the practice of prison-based gerrymandering by counting incarcerated individuals at their home address as opposed to their place of confinement.
- H.R. 2639, the Patent Litigation and Innovation Act of 2013: This bill would promote American innovation and job creation in the technology ecosystem by amending the U.S. patent laws to address the growing problem of abusive patent litigation.
- H.R.1501 Prison Ship Martyrs' Monument Preservation Act of 2013: This bill would require the Department of the Interior to conduct a feasibility study on whether the Prison Ship Martyrs’ Monument in Fort Greene Park should be protected by being deemed a national monument under the Antiquities Act.
- H.R.1499 Disaster-Affected Homeowners Notification Act of 2013: This bill compliments my first bill by ensuring that all homeowners devastated by a natural disaster are directly notified of the mortgage forbearance relief available to them.
- H.R.1498 Extend the interest rate for Federal Stafford Loans: This bill would extend the Federal Stafford loan at its current low rate for another year, giving Congress enough time to enact the President’s recent proposals to reform these student loan programs.
- H.R.554 Superstorm Sandy Mortgage Relief Act of 2013: This bill would direct the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Director of the Federal Housing Agency to offer robust relief upon an eligible homeowner's request.
Please contact my offices to share your thoughts on current legislation that may affect you, your family and your community. Please visit: Thomas.gov for more information on the bills I have introduced and co-sponsored in the 113th Congress.